Ingredients for Polish Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
- 1 whole big head cabbage, approximately 4-pound
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 pound ground beef chuck
- 1 pound lean ground pork
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3-4 cups beef stock
- 6 oz can tomato paste
Directions for Polish Gołąbki
2. Place cabbage in a deep pot and pour boiling water to cover the whole cabbage, cover with lid and boil for 2-3 minutes.
Reduce the heat to low and let it stand for a few minutes until the leaves are soft enough to pull off individual leaves.
3. Separate leaves carefully.
4. Trim the thick center stem at bottom of each leaf without cutting all the way through and set them aside.
5. In a large bowl mix well all ingredients for the stuffing — pork, beef, cooked rice, egg, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper.
6. Line bottom of a 4-5 quarts pot with any torn cabbage, trimmings or leaves that are too small to use for stuffing.
7. Place 2 spoonfuls of meat stuffing on each cabbage leaf.
8. Roll it up.
9. Then tuck the ends in.
10. Place the cabbage rolls and arrange rolls in layers on top of the torn cabbage and trimmings that you prepared in a 4-5 quart pot.
11. Pour beef stock onto the rolls and add the tomato paste.
12. Add salt and pepper to taste.
13. Simmer over low heat for 2-3 hours.
Garnish with parsley.
Serve hot with potatoes.